Assignment: Clinical Decision Support and Evidence-Based Practice
Just as global positioning systems (GPS) provide drivers with directions, detours, alternative routes, and alerts, clinical decision support (CDS) systems provide health care professionals with guidance for important decisions related to patient care. CDS systems have many capabilities, such as synthesizing patient information, recommending diagnostic tests, presenting alerts for life-threatening conditions, suggesting options for treatment, and offering relevant evidence and best practices. However, like GPSs, CDS systems are not always perfect, and many of their design specifications and functionalities are still evolving. In particular, issues such as alert fatigue and the integration of evidence-based practice (EBP) resources and clinical guidelines are still developing for CDS systems.
In this Assignment (due this Thursday), you identify the established EBP databases and clinical guidelines for your specialization area. You also consider how to integrate these elements into a CDS system specific to your specialization area. In addition, you analyze the benefits and drawbacks of integrating EBP and clinical guidelines within specialized CDS systems.
Get Assignment Writing Help
Our experts are ready to complete your assignment, course work. essay, test, dissertation, research paper, quizGet Started
- Review this week’s Learning Resources on CDS systems, EBP, and clinical guidelines. Focus on the Hammond, Jaffe, and Kush article, “Healthcare Standards Development: The Value of Nurturing Collaboration”(http://library.ahima.org/xpedio/groups/public/documents/ahima/bok1_043995.hcsp?dDocName=bok1_043995) and consider how CDS systems could be used to achieve integration of standards, guidelines, and EBP within your specialization area.
- Identify at least two databases that can be considered “gold standards” for current research and EBP recommendations within your specialization area (Cardiology, I’m a cardiac nurse).
- Identify at least two condition-specific clinical guidelines that are applicable to your specialization area. One possible resource for locating clinical guidelines is http://www.guidelines.gov
- Consider how the databases and guidelines you identified could be integrated into a CDS system. For example, would you recommend an alert system, a side panel within an electronic health record (EHR) system, a separate computer or device for health care professionals to consult at their discretion, or an alternative system?
- Reflect on the benefits and disadvantages of the type of CDS system you selected to integrate your EBP databases and clinical guidelines.
Stuck with a Question?
Get it solved from our top experts within 8 hrs!Ask Your Question Now!