Mental Health Practicum–Week 8 Journal Entry
· Develop effective documentation skills for group therapy sessions *
· Develop diagnoses for clients receiving group psychotherapy *
· Evaluate the efficacy of cognitive behavioral therapy for groups *
· Analyze legal and ethical implications of counseling clients with psychiatric
Select two clients you observed or counseled this week during a group therapy session. Note: The two clients you select must have attended the same group session.
Then, in your Practicum Journal, address the following:
· Using the Group Therapy Progress Note in this week’s Learning Resources,
document the group session.
· Describe each client (without violating HIPAA regulations), and identify any
pertinent history or medical information, including prescribed medications.
· Using the DSM-5, explain and justify your diagnosis for each client.
· Explain whether cognitive behavioral therapy would be effective with this group.
Include expected outcomes based on this therapeutic approach.
· Explain any legal and/or ethical implications related to counseling each client.
· Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
Yalom, I. D., & Leszcz, M. (2005). The theory and practice of group psychotherapy (5th ed.). New York, NY: Basic Books.
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Bjornsson, A. S., Bidwell, L. C., Brosse, A. L., Carey, G., Hauser, M., Mackiewicz Seghete, K. L., … Craighead, W. E. (2011). Cognitive-behavioral group therapy versus group psychotherapy for social anxiety disorder among college students: A randomized controlled trial. Depression and Anxiety, 28(11), 1034–1042. doi:10.1002/da.20877
Safak, Y., Karadere, M. E., Ozdel, K., Ozcan, T., Türkçapar, M. H., Kuru, E., & Yücens, B. (2014). The effectiveness of cognitive behavioral group psychotherapy for obsessive-compulsive disorder. Turkish Journal of Psychiatry, 25(4), 225–233. Retrieved from http://www.turkpsikiyatri.com/
"Do you have an upcoming essay or assignment due?
Get any topic done in as little as 6 hours
Get Assignment Writing Help
Our experts are ready to complete your assignment, course work. essay, test, dissertation, research paper, quizGet Started
All of our assignments are originally produced, unique, and free of plagiarism.
Stuck with a Question?
Get it solved from our top experts within 8 hrs!Ask Your Question Now!